Delicious, sophisticated brownies that are great during the holidays as well as to finish a Mexican meal. While there are a lot of steps, it's actually a pretty easy dish to make and enjoy. Adapted from "Layers of Flavor" by Ray Overton.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup dutch process cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup Kahlua or 1/4 cup other coffee-flavored liqueur
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, or almonds, for use to garnish icing when finished) (optional)
- 1 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1 ounce white chocolate, chopped or 1 ounce white chocolate chips
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease and flour a 13x9x2 baking dish and set aside (can use a mix of cocoa and flour to prevent white edges around finished brownies) In a big bowl (preferably by hand, NOT mixer), combine well the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- 3Add melted butter, eggs, vanilla, and Kahlua, and stir just until blended (do not overmix).
- 4Fold in chopped nuts, if you are using them.
- 5Put batter in prepared baking dish, evening out the batter with a spatula.
- 6Bake for 40- 45 minutes or until the edges of brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the dish.
- 7Remove from the oven and put dish on wire rack to cool.
- 8Immediately sprinkle dark chocolate chips over top of hot brownies.
- 9Lighly place a sheet of aluminum foil over dish to hold in and reflect heat.
- 10After about 5 minutes, when chips are melted, spread over the brownies with a spatula.
- 11Immediately sprinkle white chocolate over the frosting, and lightly cover dish with the foil again.
- 12After about 2 minutes, when chocolate is melted, gently swirl them into the dark chocolate to create a marbleized look.
- 13Let cool 2 hours before cutting.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kahlua Brownies With White & Dark Chocolate Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (1462 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 149.7
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 37.1 mg
- Sodium 95.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 1.7 g