24 hrs 23 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
For holiday turkeys. This keeps the breast meat moist and flavorful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup kosher salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries, crushed (in mortar or spice mill)
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed (in mortar or spice mill)
- 2 teaspoons allspice berries, crushed (in mortar or spice mill)
- 1 fresh or thawed turkey (10-25 pounds)
- 2 turkey-size oven cooking bags (Reynold's preferred)
- 1Put all the ingredients in a 3-4 quart saucepan.
- 2Add 8 cups of water and stir to combine; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until salt and sugar dissolve.
- 3Boil for 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- 4Add 4 cups of ice water, stir, then set aside to cool.
- 5Have a heavy roasting pan ready and place the 2 oven cooking bags inside which should be nested in a double-layer.
- 6Open the bags wide, and roll down the tops to form a collar (helps keep the bag open).
- 7Remove the turkey from its wrapper, remove the giblets (store separately), and rinse and prepare bird.
- 8Place the turkey upright inside the bags with the legs pointing up; and pour the juniper brine over the top, and add an additional 2 cups of cold water.
- 9Draw up the inner cooking bag, squeezing out as much air as possible, and secure it closed with the twist-tie; do the same for the outer bag.
- 10Place the turkey breast side down in the roasting pan and refrigerate for 12-24 hours, turning 3-4 times while it is brining.
- 11Just prior to roasting, remove the turkey from the brine.
- 12Discard the bags, all herbs and spices, and the used brine; rinse the bird under cold water and pat dry with paper toweling.
- 13Air-dry turkey for 4-6 hours under refrigeration (before cooking), for a crispier crust when roasting.
- 14The turkey is now ready to be roasted.
Browse Our Top Marinades and Rubs Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Marinades and Rubs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Juniper Brine
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 149.3
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 21665.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 38.2 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves