Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a simple and fantastic retro-diner salad that is based on a recipe from the January 2003 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. Another rare recipe that my picky DH actually likes! I often serve this to compliment one of his BBQ's, and sometimes add tomato wedges, especially if I have some that are garden fresh.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce, each cut into quarters
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In medium bowl, whisk together mayo, 1/2 cup of the blue cheese, yogurt, buttermilk, and vinegar until nearly smooth.
- Mix in remaining blue cheese.
- Season with black pepper.
- (Dressing can be made 1 week ahead and stored in refrigerator).
- Arrange lettuce wedges on 8 plates.
- Spoon dressing over wedges.
- Sprinkle with green onions and season with additional black pepper.
Very good dressing! I had this for dinner tonight and it was a great dinner salad. The blue cheese gave it a nice robust flavor. I did use regular greek style yogurt instead of nonfat yogurt, but otherwise followed the recipe. Thanks for posting! I made this for Zaar Stars Tag.
A delicious, quick and easy dinner salad. Made to go with Chinese Barbecued Chicken Wings for an easy Friday night dinner. Made for AU/NZ recipe swap.
This is a very mild blue-cheese dressing, perfect for those who don't like strong flavor of blue cheese. Some of my family liked it that way (thought it tasted like ranch). I wanted a bit more flavor so I ground some garlic salt onto it. I used hearts of romaine instead of iceberg lettuce but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. I'll be making this one again! Edited to say we ate leftover dressing the next day - I am still shocked that my kids love this, and they don't really like blue cheese! It was delicious on a salad which included diced avocado.