Cook1 hr 30 mins
A great vegetarian comfort food that also makes a great holiday dish. This recipe is a favorite among many that have discovered the deliciously tasting Worthington FriChik. You can also use real chicken, mayonnaise, milk and even add some cheese if you're not vegetarian. Before becoming vegetarian I made a casserole very similar to this one regularly. I got this recipe from a good friend that got it from another friend's cookbook. Worthington FriChik has egg white in the ingredients and there is cream in the mushroom soup, so its not vegan. I've been trying to use as little dairy as possible so I use soy milk and vegenaise (the yummiest soy mayonnaise).
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups vegetarian chicken substitute, diced (Use Worthington FriChik & include the gravy it comes in!!!)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can mushroom soup
- 1 (14 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup soy mayonnaise (I use Vegenaise. A friend of mine uses sour cream instead and of course it tastes great that way too)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- paprika, for topping
- sliced almonds, for topping
- Saute celery and onion in a very small amount of oil or water.
- Put into mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Sprinkle top with paprika and sliced almonds.
- Put in oiled casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees F about 45 minutes. (The 1 1/2 passive work time listed includes the time to cook the two cups of brown rice ahead).
A very tasty and comforting dish that I enjoyed for lunch and will have for dinner too! I used fresh mushrooms and regular mayonnaise. Thanks so much for a great vegetarian entree!