This soup is even better the next day! It can be made using browned mini meatballs or browned sausage meat or ground beef in place of the beef cubes. If desired you can use all chicken or beef broth in place of water. This soup makes a filling main meal served with crusty buns on the side. If desired you could make this into a thick stew buy adding in a water/flour mixture to the simmering soup at the end of cooking and omitting the cooked rice.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 medium carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups beef broth
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 small zucchini (sliced about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- salt and black pepper
- 1 cup cooked white rice (can use more)
- grated parmesan cheese
- Melt butter with oil in a 6-quart pot (or larger) over medium heat; add in beef cubes and cook stirring occasionally until the beef is browned (about 10 minutes) remove to a bowl.
- Add in onions, red pepper flakes, jalapeno pepper (if using) carrots, celery, Itaian seasoning and thyme, adding more oil and/or butter if needed; saute for about 5 minutes adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Add in the browned beef back to the pot along with the water, broth, Worcestershire sauce, canned tomatoes with juice, potatoes and zucchini slices; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered for about 50 minutes, or until the veggies are crisp-tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then stir in the cooked rice and kidney beans; cook until heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and top with grated parmesan cheese.