1/1 Photo of Hearty Beef and Rice Minestrone Soup
1 hr 30 mins
This soup is even better the next day! It can be made using browned mini meatballs or browned sausage meat or ground beef in place of the beef cubes. If desired you can use all chicken or beef broth in place of water. This soup makes a filling main meal served with crusty buns on the side. If desired you could make this into a thick stew buy adding in a water/flour mixture to the simmering soup at the end of cooking and omitting the cooked rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 medium carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups beef broth
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 small zucchini (sliced about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- salt and black pepper
- 1 cup cooked white rice (can use more)
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1Melt butter with oil in a 6-quart pot (or larger) over medium heat; add in beef cubes and cook stirring occasionally until the beef is browned (about 10 minutes) remove to a bowl.
- 2Add in onions, red pepper flakes, jalapeno pepper (if using) carrots, celery, Itaian seasoning and thyme, adding more oil and/or butter if needed; saute for about 5 minutes adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
- 3Add in the browned beef back to the pot along with the water, broth, Worcestershire sauce, canned tomatoes with juice, potatoes and zucchini slices; bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered for about 50 minutes, or until the veggies are crisp-tender.
- 5Season with salt and pepper to taste, then stir in the cooked rice and kidney beans; cook until heated through.
- 6Ladle into bowls and top with grated parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Beef and Rice Minestrone Soup
Serving Size: 1 (5232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 467.8
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 76.9 mg
- Sodium 506.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 26.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning