Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I make this soup with my beef stock Kittencal's Rich Homemade Beef Stock (Crock-Pot or Stove Top), but the canned beef broth will work great for this, this is a hearty soup, perfect for a cold winters night. You can omit the chicken broth and make the soup using 8 cups beef broth with the consomme, but the beef flavor will be quite strong. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese in the bowls and serve with crusty bread. You can really use any cut of beef for this soup
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs beef sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 2 -3 celery ribs, coarsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (heaping tablespoon)
- 1 small turnip, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 (10 ounce) canned consomme, undiluted
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl barley (rinsed under cold water)
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven until hot.
- Brown the beef on all sides; remove to a bowl.
- To the same pot melt the butter, then add in onions, garlic, celery, dried thyme, bay leaf and red pepper flakes (if using) saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste and stir with a wooden spoon for 1 minute.
- Add in the beef broth, 2 cans undiluted consomme soup, chicken stock, turnips, cauliflower, potatoes, barley and the browned beef; bring to a boil and simmer for about 40, stirring occasionally or until barley and veggies are tender.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
Loved the rich broth this soup makes. Make sure you start out with a very large pot as this makes a lot. I will be making this soup again. Made for *1 2 3 Hit Wonders* game 2007
Very beefy soup. The red pepper flakes added a nice spicy taste. The only thing I would do different next time is to use less barley. We liked this soup. Thanks KittenCal. Bullwinkle.