From the Penzey's Spice Catalogue! I was asked by my mom to bring this recipe for Thanksgiving this year. (Feel free to use agave nectar in place of the honey to make it 100% vegan friendly). I was really excited that my mother chose this recipe because it is a nice change from the usual "Green Bean Caserole" we've all seen so many times. For those of you who aren't familiar with Penzey's spice blend Mural of Flavor, it is a salt-free mix of: shallots, onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, basil, coriander, lemon peel, citric acid, black pepper, chives, green peppercorns, dill weed, and orange peel. I've listed it as "salt-free seasoning" because Recipezaar's database does not contain Penzey's spices.
- Wash the beans, and cut the stem end off. (this can be done a day ahead of time).
- To cook: Bring a pot of water (at least 2 quarts) to a rolling boil.
- While the water is coming to a boil, heat the butter/oil in a medium pan and simmer on low with the pecans.
- Once they are lightly browned, add the SESAME SEEDS and MURAL OF FLAVOR.
- Add the green beans to boiling water and cook 2 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the beans to stop the cooking, but leave them warm.
- Drizzle the pecan mix with the honey, stir regularly, then when the beans have been drained and rinsed, add them to the pan and toss with the seasoned nut mix.
- Place in a serving bowl.
- Cover the bowl with foil and place in a warm oven until ready to serve.