1 hr 5 mins
Serve with cherry-rich red: 2006 Chateau de La Chaize Brouilly. A healthy & vegetarian dish. For this super simple risotto, Chef Jonathan Justus, grills eggplant until smoky and charred & then blends the creamy flesh into the cooked rice. Just before serving he sprinkles on sumac, a tart Middle Easten spice made from the dried berry. Chef Jonathan Justus opened his Smithville, Missouri restaurant in his family's former drugstore last year (hence its name, James Drugstore). From F&W Magazine, 08/2008 - from "Green" Living Guide, Local Flavors.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) eggplants
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or 1 tablespoon unsalted margarine
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (10 ounces)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups hot vegetable stock or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ground sumac
- 1Light a grill.
- 2Rub the eggplant with 1/2 tablespoon of the oil and grill over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until charred and soft, 20 minutes; let cool slightly.
- 3Halve the eggplant lengthwise and scoop the pulp into a blender; puree until creamy.
- 4In a large saucepan, melt the butter in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- 5Add the onion, shallot, garlic and rice and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, 5 minutes.
- 6Add the wine and cook until it is absorbed.
- 7Add the vegetable stock with crushed red pepper flakes, 1/2 cup at a time; stir constantly until it is absorbed before adding more.
- 8Cook until the rice is al dente, 20 minutes total.
- 9Stir in the eggplant puree and the cream and season with salt and pepper.
- 10Stir in the parsley and scallions.
- 11Spoon the risotto into bowls, sprinkle with sumac and serve.
Browse Our Top Medium-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Medium-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Eggplant Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.6
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 18.6 mg
- Sodium 9.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: