- Drain the green beans saving one cup of the liquid.
- Put the green beans in a casserole dish.
- In a small saucepan heat mushroom soup, liquid from the green beans, and cheese; stirring until cheese melts.
- Sprinkle drained mushrooms and bacon bits over green beans.
- Cover with the cheese sauce.
- Cook in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Crush onion rings and sprinkle on top.
- Heat in oven for 5 more minutes.
I used frozen French Cut greem beans instead of canned and then vegetable broth to replace the liquid. Other than that I made it per the recipe. It was the best green bean casserole I've ever tasted. So much flavor, not as bland as many others. Thank you for this great recipe.
This year (2003) was my first to make Christmas dinner and I chose this recipe. I thought it was great and others seemed to like it as well. I used real bacon and next time I think the bacon should be very crispy.... mine was a little on the soft side. BUT either way, it was very tasty. Thanx for submitting this.
I fixed this for Christmas dinner and people commented on the bacon bits, thought it was a great idea! There was a little too much liquid, so I saved it to put in the turkey noodle soup I'm making tomorrow! Thanks so much Jacqueline!