1/4 Photos of Gratin Dauphinois (Cheese / Cream Potatoes)
2 hrs 15 mins
Ooohhhh!!!la la, these are pure heaven!!! Wonderful for a buffet table. Evolved from "French cooking by Eileen Reece"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Peel the potatoes, wipe clean with a damp cloth and cut them into thin slices.
- 3Do not wash or soak them in water as this would remove the starch essential to the correct consistency of the dish.
- 4Pour the milk into a large saucepan, season with salt, freshly ground pepper and nutmeg to taste and add the butter cut into small pieces.
- 5Place over a medium heat, beat with a birch (wire) whisk and bring slowly to boiling point, add the potatoes and the cream gradually, reduce the heat and simmer very slowly for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 6Rub a large gratin dish with the cut clove of garlic, butter it generously and pour in the potato mixture.
- 7Scatter the cheese on top and bake very slowly for 1 1/2 hours until a crisp brown crust has formed.
- 8Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gratin Dauphinois (Cheese / Cream Potatoes)
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.5
- Calories from Fat 322
- Total Fat 35.8 g
- Saturated Fat 22.0 g
- Cholesterol 117.6 mg
- Sodium 229.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 13.9 g