Prep 45 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is an excellent cake for potlucks or for any occasion! There are a couple of other German Apple Cake recipes on here, but this one is different. Prep time is approximate.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Fold in apples and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter.
- Add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth.
- Spread over cake.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Oh, my ma always made this recipe when I was growing up, and everyone raved about it! The only thing I do differently is leave out the nuts... sorry, I'm just not a fan, lol! Also, the frosting recipe my mom gave me uses half the amounts of cream cheese and frosting, but 2 Tbs. butter and 1 tsp. vanilla. Ahhh, this is what you call comfort food :)
Superb cake! I had gotten almost this exact same recipe from a dear friend of mine at church. I have altered to 1/2 c. vegetable oil and 1/2 c. apple sauce. I usually don't put in pecans as my daughter doesn't like nuts. The cream cheese mixture I have is different with 4 T. butter. Yum, yum!
What a wonderful moist and delicious cake! The only change I made was to cut the sugar to 1 1/2 cups (instead of 2), since I used Courtland apples and they're really not too tart! It took one hour to bake in my oven. The cream cheese frosting really finished it off! Thanks for sharing this great cake recipe, keen5! I'll certainly be making it often!