Carol Bullock's Note:
A savory dish for the holidays. Always a winner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large baking potatoes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups soymilk
- 6 tablespoons soy margarine
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion
- 6 tablespoons flour (whole wheat pastry flour is good)
- 1 1/4 cups finely ground cashews
- 4 cups vegetarian chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons tamari (I use Braggs Liquid Aminos) or 5 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Braggs Liquid Aminos)
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1Peel and dice the potatoes and then boil until they are soft.
- 2Heat oil over medium heat in small pan.
- 3Saute the garlic for about 30 seconds.
- 4Add the soy milk and reduce to a simmer.
- 5Keep this mixture warm until the potatoes are cooked.
- 6Mash the potatoes in a large bowl.
- 7Add the margarine, and then add the soy milk mixture and nutritional yeast and mix until creamy.
- 8For the gravy, saute the onions in margarine until golden.
- 9Stir in the flour and cashews and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 10Add the broth gradually, whisking constantly to form a smooth mix.
- 11Add the soy sauce, garlic and pepper.
- 12Bring to a boil, and then turn down heat and simmer until thick.
- 13Puree in the blender until smooth.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Cashew Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.9
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 994.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 9.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian chicken broth