Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A savory dish for the holidays. Always a winner.
Make and share this Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Cashew Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- 6 large baking potatoes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 6 tablespoons soy margarine
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion
- 6 tablespoons flour (whole wheat pastry flour is good)
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely ground cashews
- 4 cups vegetarian chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons tamari (I use Braggs Liquid Aminos) or 5 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Braggs Liquid Aminos)
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- Peel and dice the potatoes and then boil until they are soft.
- Heat oil over medium heat in small pan.
- Saute the garlic for about 30 seconds.
- Add the soy milk and reduce to a simmer.
- Keep this mixture warm until the potatoes are cooked.
- Mash the potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add the margarine, and then add the soy milk mixture and nutritional yeast and mix until creamy.
- For the gravy, saute the onions in margarine until golden.
- Stir in the flour and cashews and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the broth gradually, whisking constantly to form a smooth mix.
- Add the soy sauce, garlic and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, and then turn down heat and simmer until thick.
- Puree in the blender until smooth.