Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A savory dish for the holidays. Always a winner.
Make and share this Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Cashew Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- 6 large baking potatoes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 6 tablespoons soy margarine
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion
- 6 tablespoons flour (whole wheat pastry flour is good)
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely ground cashews
- 4 cups vegetarian chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons tamari (I use Braggs Liquid Aminos) or 5 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Braggs Liquid Aminos)
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- Peel and dice the potatoes and then boil until they are soft.
- Heat oil over medium heat in small pan.
- Saute the garlic for about 30 seconds.
- Add the soy milk and reduce to a simmer.
- Keep this mixture warm until the potatoes are cooked.
- Mash the potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add the margarine, and then add the soy milk mixture and nutritional yeast and mix until creamy.
- For the gravy, saute the onions in margarine until golden.
- Stir in the flour and cashews and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the broth gradually, whisking constantly to form a smooth mix.
- Add the soy sauce, garlic and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, and then turn down heat and simmer until thick.
- Puree in the blender until smooth.
Defrickinlicious!!! love, love, loved it! I am trying to be vegan 5 days a week, and could make this every week. The gravy recipe could be halved or quartered, it makes too much, unless you are saving some to eat with your Thanksgiving turkey, but that's not vegan is it? lol
These potatoes were lovely and fluffy. I doubled the recipe, but didn't double the soymilk entirely. Made the day before and was able to just reheat about 90 minutes before dinner. There was no discussion at the dinner table about them being vegan or not, and the serving dish was scraped clean. The gravy was tasty too. Thanks Carol!
Very good potatoes. My girlfriend is vegan so my goal was to make Thanksgiving for 8 vegan (without the others knowing it was vegan!) and this was very sucessful. I couldn't believe how creamy they were from the soy. The gravy was just ok, but I did not use the nutritional yeast so I didn't follow the recipe exactly. (Edited to add an extra star a year later- Made just the potatoes again for Thanksgiving and they were FANTASTIC!).