Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a delicious easy side to serve at a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, it may be doubled if desired and may be made well in advance and refrigerated until ready to bake -- the first time I made this I used 3/4 cup sugar, that was too sweet for our tastes, start with 1/2 cup and add in more until desired sweetness is achieved, white sugar may be used in place of brown but I find that brown is better, Splenda may also be used if desired :)
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (adjust the amount of sugar to suit taste)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar (or to taste)
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Cook the carrots in boiling water until tender (about 12-15 minutes) drain very well then transfer to a bowl or you may steam the carrots until tender.
- Mash the carrots very well using a fork.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except the confectioners sugar (start with 1/2 cup brown sugar adding in more until desired sweetness is achieved) mix well to combine.
- Transfer to casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes.