Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the flakiest, simplest pie pastry recipe I've come across. Make several batches at one time and freeze. TIP on pre-baking pie crusts: If your pie shell is to be baked without a filling, you must first prick the dough in the pan with a fork. If desired, place dry beans on top of the crust so that it bakes evenly. Place in a 450 degree oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a rack before filling. (NOTE: If you're using dry beans when baking the crust, remove them after 8 minutes baking and continue baking.)
Ingredients for 1 crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- In bowl of food processor, place flour, salt, and sugar; process once to combine all.
- Chill shortening briefly - about 3 minutes in the freezer will do.
- Break shortening into bits; distribute around steel blade in bowl.
- Process with 7 on-off pulses, until shortening is broken into dry ingredients well.
- Add ice water.
- Process with 7 more on-off pulses, or until dough forms into a ball.
- Roll out.
- Proceed with pie recipe.
- This recipe doubles well.
I was looking for a simple recipe for a pie crust for an apple pie. This one was on target because not only was it simple, the crust turned our perfect! I'll never buy reaqdy-made again. I added just a little extra water to get the consistecy I wanted, but otherwise...simply GREAT