Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
HARVEST TIME! A great alternative to mac & cheese. We made this several times last season when our garden was producing squash, squash & more squash. This recipe is from one of my very favorite cookbooks, "Necessities & Temptations" by the Junior League of Austin, TX.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Boil squash and onion in small amount of salted water until tender.
- While squash in cooking, prepare topping:.
- Melt 1/2 C.
- butter in skillet.
- Saute crushed crackers in butter until crisp and brown, Set aside.
- Make a white sauce using 1/4 C.
- butter, cornstarch, and half& half.
- Add cheese.
- Stir until melted and sauce is smooth.
- Arrange squash in 9 X 13 inch glass baking dish.
- Pour sauce over squash.
- Top with cracker topping.
- Bake 25 minutes or until hot& bubbly.
Delicious!!! I use frozen squash and add cooked, crumbled bacon to the ritz cracker topping. It was a big hit with the entire family when I made it for both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
So good I made it twice in one week! We are big fans of Mac and Cheese so this was a winner with the whole fam. and our guests!