Cookin Kit's Note:
HARVEST TIME! A great alternative to mac & cheese. We made this several times last season when our garden was producing squash, squash & more squash. This recipe is from one of my very favorite cookbooks, "Necessities & Temptations" by the Junior League of Austin, TX.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Boil squash and onion in small amount of salted water until tender.
- 4While squash in cooking, prepare topping:.
- 5Melt 1/2 C.
- 6butter in skillet.
- 7Saute crushed crackers in butter until crisp and brown, Set aside.
- 8Make a white sauce using 1/4 C.
- 9butter, cornstarch, and half& half.
- 10Add cheese.
- 11Stir until melted and sauce is smooth.
- 12Arrange squash in 9 X 13 inch glass baking dish.
- 13Pour sauce over squash.
- 14Top with cracker topping.
- 15Bake 25 minutes or until hot& bubbly.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Favorite Squash & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (472 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 622.0
- Calories from Fat 488
- Total Fat 54.2 g
- Saturated Fat 34.3 g
- Cholesterol 158.6 mg
- Sodium 1134.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 14.4 g