3 hrs 30 mins
I have not yet tried this, but it is from an overdue library book (From Our Mothers' Kitchens) and I want to return the book tomorrow, so need to get the recipes I want to try copied down, pronto. Come fall, there is always a need for green tomato recipes and this pickle sounds like a real winner to me. Prep time includes the standing time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large glass or crockery bowl, combine tomatoes, onions, and green pepper; sprinkle with salt and stir.
- 2Cover bowl and let mixture stand for two hours.
- 3Drain and rinse thoroughly under cold running water; drain again.
- 4In a large heavy saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, seeds and spices; over medium heat, bring to a boil.
- 5Stir in drained veggies and bring back to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 7Ladle into sterilized two-cup mason jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal.
- 8Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- 9Let cool at room temperature before storing jars in fridge, or in a cool dark place.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eleanor's Green Tomato Pickle
Serving Size: 1 (2646 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.1
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3564.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 47.0 g
- Protein 2.9 g