Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
I have not yet tried this, but it is from an overdue library book (From Our Mothers' Kitchens) and I want to return the book tomorrow, so need to get the recipes I want to try copied down, pronto. Come fall, there is always a need for green tomato recipes and this pickle sounds like a real winner to me. Prep time includes the standing time.
- In a large glass or crockery bowl, combine tomatoes, onions, and green pepper; sprinkle with salt and stir.
- Cover bowl and let mixture stand for two hours.
- Drain and rinse thoroughly under cold running water; drain again.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, seeds and spices; over medium heat, bring to a boil.
- Stir in drained veggies and bring back to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Ladle into sterilized two-cup mason jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal.
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Let cool at room temperature before storing jars in fridge, or in a cool dark place.
I'm not sure mine came out right as I expected a firmer result, but got a relish-y sort of texture even though I left my tomatoes in larger chunks. The result tastes so good though! Thanks for sharing the recipe.