If you've never tried duck - this is THE recipe with which to make the introduction. If you love duck, you'll love this way of making it - elegant, flavourful and easy. From Bon Appetit, April, 2000.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 muscovy boneless duck breast halves (about 1 3/4 pounds total)
- 3/4 cup chopped shallot
- 2 1/4 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 4 1/2 teaspoons earl grey tea leaves or 5 tea bags, leaves removed from bags
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- orange section (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2Pierce skin of duck breasts all over with fork.
- 3Sprinkle duck with salt and pepper.
- 4Heat heavy large skillet over high heat.
- 5Add duck breasts, skin side down, to skillet.
- 6Cook until skin is well browned, about 4 minutes.
- 7Turn duck breasts over; cook 2 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat.
- 9Set rack in roasting pan.
- 10Transfer duck breasts to rack (reserve drippings in skillet).
- 11Roast duck to desired doneness, about 20 minutes for medium-rare.
- 12Meanwhile, heat drippings in skillet over medium heat.
- 13Add shallots and sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 14Tilt skillet; push shallots to higher end of skillet, allowing drippings to flow to lower end.
- 15Spoon off drippings and discard.
- 16Add broth, orange juice and tea leaves to skillet.
- 17Boil until mixture is reduced to 1 1/4 cups, about 17 minutes.
- 18Pour mixture through strainer set over bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
- 19Discard solids in strainer.
- 20Return liquid to same skillet.
- 21Add honey; bring to simmer.
- 22Whisk in butter.
- 23Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- 24Thinly slice duck breasts crosswise.
- 25Fan slices on each of 4 plates, dividing equally.
- 26Spoon sauce around duck.
- 27Garnish with orange segments, if desired.
Browse Our Top Duck Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Duck Breasts with Orange, Honey and Tea Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.4
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 54.8 mg
- Sodium 144.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: