1/3 Photos of Duchesse Mashed Potato-Mushroom Puff
This is a fabulous recipe and one I always seem to fall back on for dinner parties. The potatoes are whipped into a creamy puree with butter, milk and eggs and are sandwiched with a yummy mushroom filling. This all bakes up into a lovely golden puff which magically disappears before all other dishes! This wonderful recipe was given to me years ago by my friend, Buzz in Toronto.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons butter or 4 teaspoons margarine
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese (optional) or 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (optional) or 1 1/2 cups gouda cheese (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium chopped onion
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1For Potatoes: Peel potatoes, cut in halves and boil in salted water until soft, but firm. Drain and dry thoroughly by shaking over heat until moisture disappears.
- 2Mash potatoes using electric mixer. Add salt, pepper, butter or margarine, eggs, cheese (if using), baking powder and liquid. Beat until fluffy. (you may need a little extra liquid to get these nice and fluffy, depending upon the type of potatoes that you use).
- 3For Mushrooms: Saute onion in butter or margarine, until nicely carmelized. Remove onions from pan. Saute mushrooms until browned and they have released all of their liquid. Mix with onions, salt, pepper and chopped parsley.
- 4Note 1: I often make up my mushroom filling a day ahead of time and refrigerate. Soften slightly before filling.
- 5Butter a pie plate or a small pyrex baking dish and Line bottom and sides of plate with about 1" mashed potato mixture. Fill centre with mushroom mixture, cover with remaining potato mixture. Top with little bits of butter and a sprinkling of paprika.
- 6Bake at 400F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and puffed.
- 7Note 2: This dish can be prepared in the morning, covered with plastic wrap and left at room temperature until baking time.
- 8Note 3: I like this recipe both with and without the addition of cheese. If my other sides don't have cheese in them, then I'll often add it.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Duchesse Mashed Potato-Mushroom Puff
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.4
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 77.8 mg
- Sodium 520.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 9.4 g