1/1 Photo of Day-after Scalloped Turkey
1 hr 10 mins
This casserole is a great use of leftover Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey! Make it and put it into a casserole dish and seal well, then put it in the freezer for a couple of weeks down the line when you're craving the taste of the holidays again. :) It also travels well to potlucks, especially if you use one of those disposable foil casserole dishes! You can even make the bread cubes from leftover rolls, toasted in your oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups cooked turkey or 3 cups cooked chicken meat, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk or 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 cups toasted bread cubes
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon roasted minced garlic
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms or 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/2 cup butter, then stir in the flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper and lower the temperature and cook over low until bubbly and golden.
- 3Gradually whisk in the broth and milk and simmer for 4 minutes while continuing to whisk, then taste and add more salt and pepper, if you like; set the sauce aside.
- 4In a large bowl, toss together the bread cubes, onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, sage, and remaining 1/4 cup melted butter; toss well to coat.
- 5Add the chopped turkey meat and sauce and mix well.
- 6Pan spray a 2-quart casserole dish and pour dressing-chicken-sauce mixture into the dish, top with the grated Parmesan, cover, and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake 10 to 15 more minutes until Parmesan is golden.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Day-after Scalloped Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 695.2
- Calories from Fat 406
- Total Fat 45.1 g
- Saturated Fat 26.2 g
- Cholesterol 182.9 mg
- Sodium 1585.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 42.0 g