A family recipe as far as I know, and my father's very favorite cookie by far. They freeze well and actually keep quite a long time in an airtight container at room temp - if they don't all disappear first. ;o) A bit of work, but differently delicious and makes a LOT! Prep time does not include chilling dough.
- For Filling: Cook together dates, sugar, water for 10 min or until thick.
- When cool, add nuts.
- For Dough: Cream shortening and brown sugar.
- Add eggs; mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients together& combine with egg mixture; mix well.
- Divide dough into 4 parts; roll each 1/4" thick.
- Spread each with 1/4 of filling, roll up like a jelly roll.
- Cover the four'logs' and chill several hours.
- Slice 1/4" thick for each pinwheel.
- Bake 8-10 min.
- at 375.