Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A different bit of latke from Chicago chef Erwin Drechsler.
Make and share this Curried Sweet Potato Latkes recipe from Food.com.
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and coarsely grated
- black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup peanut oil (for frying)
- Whisk together flour, curry powder, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, red pepper, cumin, and paprika in a large bowl; stir eggs into dry ingredients to make thick batter; add sweet potatoes and salt and black pepper to taste, mix well Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat; drop enough batter into hot oil to form 4-inch latkes when pressed down, do not crowd skillet.
- Fry in batches until golden, about 4 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels.
Absoloutly addictive! I fried in veg oil then switched to salt-free Becel for the second batch both were delicious.
These are wonderfully different and savory dispite the sugars in the recipe. For dietary reasons I used egg substitute and chose to bake them at high heat using Chias method for her baked potatoe latkes, and they turned out nice and crisp on the outside. I served with South American Flank Steak #170400 and they paired well. Next time I think I might add a bit of minced onion to the mixture. I can only imagine how good these are fried. Thank you Hey Jude for sharing the recipe. Its one I'll be making again.