Old fashioned apple pie that tastes like grandma made it. No fail recipe!
Make and share this Crumb Top Apple Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Add apple slices.
- Sprinkle water and lemon juice over apple slices and toss until coated with sugar.
- Spoon into a deep dish pie pan.
- Dot with butter.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and stir until smooth.
- Dab on top of apples.
- Bake for 50- 60 minutes.
- Serve warm.
What a great recipe Suzie. It was so easy to make and it tasted incredible. We especially loved the crumb top, it was truly delish. I made the recipe into tarts. I halved the recipe made one batch exactly as written. The other half I spiced with British Apple Pie Spice Mix, they complimented each other perfectly. Thank you so much for sharing. :)
The pie was beautiful and the flavor wonderful, but the juices from the apples, water and lemon were very runny. I used Granny Smith apples--if that makes any difference. If I were to make this again, I would definitely add a thickener like cornstarch before baking. It did make a stunning pie--with the golden brown crumbles sprinkled over a mound of apples.