Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Tender slices of sweet potato in a fragrant sauce. The apple cider gives the sauce a little tang which pairs nicely with the sweet maple flavor. A great addition to any fall meal. An easy Thanksgiving side dish in the crock pot.
- Cut sweet potatoes into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices and place slices in the crock pot.
- Whisk together the brown sugar, maple syrup and apple cider, pour over potatoes and stir to coat.
- Cover and cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste just before serving.
- NOTE: Stir a few times during cooking, if possible, to keep the slices coated.
I made this for Thanksgiving, and it was awesome! It was great to make a dish that didn't need the oven or attention at the last minute. It looked a little funny at first, so I was nervous, but once it had cooked for the full 7 hours it looked great. (It really did take that long to cook, so you have to make it early...)
Thank You! Truly comfort food and healthy too! I use Maple Grove Sugar Free Syrup and it tastes like the real thing minus the calories plus easier on the pocket book too! I have a Rival Slow Cooker with the timer settings and it is done in about 5-6 hours on low.
I tried this for Thanksgiving this year, and I though that it was pretty good. I doubled the recipe, and I also added 1 tbsp. cinnamon and 1 tsp. nutmeg. I also ended up thickening the sauce a little, as it was still a bit runny at the end of cooking. Overall, I'd make this again.