This year, my daughter Julie and I made a team effort out of making the green bean casserole for Christmas dinner. I had a recipe I'd wanted to use portions of, and together in the kitchen we made created a new twist on the old standard that was really tasty!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon concentrated chicken soup base
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (3 ounce) can chopped mild green chilies
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 1/4 lbs fresh green beans, steamed until crisp-tender
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2(If you havent steamed your green beans, begin with those theyll be done, about 20 minutes, by the time you need to mix them into the casserole.).
- 3Begin the sauce: in a saucepan melt the butter over low heat, then whisk in the flour, stirring continually, and cook for 2 minutes (the mixture will be quite thick).
- 4Gradually add the milk while whisking, and bring to a simmer; cook, whisking continually, for 3 or so minutes and it thickens.
- 5Add the concentrated chicken base, celery salt, nutmeg, and white pepper; whisk well to make sure chicken base is dissolved, remove from heat and set aside.
- 6Begin the filling: in a large nonstick skillet, melt together the olive oil and butter over medium heat; add the onion and garlic, and sauté until onion begins to soften, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 7Add the chopped mild green chiles, stir well to combine, and let the mixture brown for about 3 minutes without stirring.
- 8Add the sliced mushroom, cover, and sauté, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes; remove about half of the mushroom mixture from the pan and set it aside.
- 9In a 1 1/2 quart lightly-sprayed casserole dish, combine the half of the mushroom mixture from the pan, the cooked green beans, and the white sauce; taste test and adjust salt and pepper, if necessary.
- 10Combine the remaining mushroom mixture with the bread crumbs; combine the melted butter and the sage, then stir it into the crumb mixture.
- 11Spread the crumb mixture over the beans.
- 12Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Top Green Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.4
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 37.9 mg
- Sodium 471.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: