This dish is on a regular rotation at my house, its a huge favorite! I have made the sauce using only white cheddar and that is really good also!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese (or use 2 cups of either Swiss or cheddar)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 6 -8 large potatoes (sliced about 1/4-inch thick or a little larger)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- Set oven to 375 degrees (oven rack set to second-lowest position).
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish (or larger).
- For the sauce; melt butter in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat; add in onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add in flour and whisk 1 minute.
- Slowly add in half and half cream and cook stirring until thickened, smooth and bubbly.
- Add in seasoned salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- Reduce heat to low and mix in the cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese; stir with a wooden spoon until the the cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth (about 1-2 minutes) remove from heat.
- Layer the potatoes into the baking dish (does not have to be in an even layer).
- Pour the cheese sauce over, then mix the sauce using a spatula or a wooden spoon to coat the sauce with the potatoes.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or to taste).
- Bake covered for about 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake until the top is browned and the potatoes are tender About 35-40 minutes (baking time will vary depending on the size of the potato slices).
Very good. I used 1/2 Half & Half and 1/2 chicken broth for the liquid. Didn't have cayenne pepper so used smoky paprika. Also chunked up leftover Christmas ham in it..Delish!
I made this for Easter dinner and it was a big hit. My husband asked me to keep this one.
MMMMmmm..a real comfort type side dish. Rich, Creamy, Delicious!!! I used evaporated milk in place of half and half. That was the only deviance I made to a great recipe that will be repeated often. (I like the idea of doing these in a 9x13 baking dish).