1/1 Photo of Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
1 hr 30 mins
This dish is on a regular rotation at my house, its a huge favorite! I have made the sauce using only white cheddar and that is really good also!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese (or use 2 cups of either Swiss or cheddar)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 6 -8 large potatoes (sliced about 1/4-inch thick or a little larger)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 1Set oven to 375 degrees (oven rack set to second-lowest position).
- 2Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish (or larger).
- 3For the sauce; melt butter in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat; add in onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- 4Add in flour and whisk 1 minute.
- 5Slowly add in half and half cream and cook stirring until thickened, smooth and bubbly.
- 6Add in seasoned salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- 7Reduce heat to low and mix in the cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese; stir with a wooden spoon until the the cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth (about 1-2 minutes) remove from heat.
- 8Layer the potatoes into the baking dish (does not have to be in an even layer).
- 9Pour the cheese sauce over, then mix the sauce using a spatula or a wooden spoon to coat the sauce with the potatoes.
- 10Sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or to taste).
- 11Bake covered for about 30 minutes.
- 12Remove foil and continue to bake until the top is browned and the potatoes are tender About 35-40 minutes (baking time will vary depending on the size of the potato slices).
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 565.2
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.9 g
- Cholesterol 86.3 mg
- Sodium 381.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 19.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: