This can be made the day ahead and then quickly reheated under the broiler for a few minutes. Recipe submitted by Julianne Gilland to Sunset Magazine.
- Butter a shallow 1 1/2- to 2-quart baking dish.
- Squeeze out as much water as possible from the spinach (use your hands or a clean kitchen towel); set aside.
- Heat spinach and cream in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese to melt.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Transfer spinach mixture to buttered baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Just before serving, place dish in the oven 5 to 6 inches below a broiler set to high; broil until top is golden and crunchy, about 3 minutes.