1/2 Photos of Creamed Spinach and Bacon Bake
This recipe is guaranteed to put a smile on any spinach-lover's face and will compliment any meal, since this is a creamed spinach recipe it is not a dish that bakes out totally firm. To remove the bitterness from the frozen spinach I like to microwave it in a little water for 10 minutes or until boiling, rinse until cold water then squeeze dry, if you don't mind the strong taste then you can omit this step. Prep time does not include cooking the bacon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb bacon (cooked until crisp then chopped)
- 1 (300 g) package frozen spinach (thawed under hot water then squeeze dry)
- 5 tablespoons butter (or use the bacon grease from the bacon it must be at least 5 tablespoons)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh garlic
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (or use fresh sauteed sliced mushroomed)
- 3 tablespoons flour (use 4 tablespoons for a thicker sauce)
- 2 cups 18% cereal cream (or use half and half cream)
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter an 9-inch baking dish (or use an 8 x 8-inch baking dish).
- 3In a medium saucepan melt 5 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add in onions and saute for about 4 minutes (or until soft).
- 4Add in garlic, mushrooms, cooked bacon, cayenne pepper and seasoned salt, saute for 1 minute.
- 5Add in flour and stir with a wooden spoon and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- 6Slowly add in the cream; bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and smooth (this should take about 3-4 minutes).
- 7Reduce the heat to low and add in the spinach and stir until combined and mixed into the cream sauce.
- 8Mix in the cheddar cheese and 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese; stir until the cheese has melted.
- 9Season with black pepper to taste.
- 10Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- 11Sprinkle with 1/3 (or to taste) Parmesan cheese.
- 12Bake for about 25 minutes or until browned on top and bubbly.
- 13Let sit for 20 minutes before spooning out of the baking dish, this only gets better the longer you leave it sit, but you won't be able to keep your spoon out of the dish lol!.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamed Spinach and Bacon Bake
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 626.6
- Calories from Fat 497
- Total Fat 55.2 g
- Saturated Fat 29.4 g
- Cholesterol 143.4 mg
- Sodium 801.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 22.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: