1 hr 20 mins
A great soother or subtle beginning to an elegant dinner. This recipe is wonderful and even better yet if you are lucky enough to have fresh pumpkin to use in place of canned. I clipped this out of a magazine many years ago and we have enjoyed it ever since.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 (13 3/4 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (1 lb) can solid-pack pumpkin (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1Heat butter in large saucepan or dutch oven; add onion; saute until tender but not brown, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add 1 can chicken broth; bring to boiling; cover; lower heat; simmer 15 minutes.
- 3Ladle liquid and onion into container of electric blender; cover.
- 4Blend until mixture is smooth, about 1 minute.
- 5Return to saucepan.
- 6Add remaining chicken broth, pumpkin, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and pepper.
- 7Stir until smooth.
- 8Bring to boiling; cover.
- 9Lower heat; simmer 10 minutes, stirring often.
- 10Stir in milk and cream; heat just to boiling, but do not boil.
- 11Taste for seasonings.
- 12Garnish with cinnamon croutons.
- 13CINNAMON CROUTONS: Blend 3 Tbls.
- 14softened butter or margarine with 1 Tbls.
- 15brown sugar and 1/4 Tsp.
- 16ground cinnamon in small bowl.
- 17Spread on the 4 slices of bread.
- 18Place in single layer on cookie sheet.
- 19Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until toast is crisp and topping is bubbly.
- 20Cut into small triangles or squares.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Pumpkin Soup with Cinnamon Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.4
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 68.3 mg
- Sodium 783.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 7.4 g