This is a double crusted apple pie with a bottom layer of cream cheese and a thin layer of caramel over the apple filling. Absolutely marvelous flavor!
- 2 deep dish pie shells
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 cups thinly sliced apples (peeled)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup caramel topping
- 1 (16 ounce) containerwhipped dessert topping (optional) or 1 (16 ounce) container whipped cream (optional)
- 2 (6 ounce) packagessoftened cream cheese
- Preheat oven and a cookie sheet to 400ºF.
- Stir together the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon.
- Toss with the apples, vanilla and almond extract in a large mixing bowl.
- Press softened cream cheese into bottom of the pie shell.
- Pour the apple mixture into the unbaked pie shell.
- Drizzle the caramel topping over the top.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Place the top crust over this and flute the edges.
- Cut slits in the top crust or poke with a fork to allow steam to escape.
- Sprinkle with sugar,and place on the preheated cookie sheet.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cover edges with foil to prevent them from burning.
- Cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
- Serve with whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream and coffee.