Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was originally from the "Moosewood Sundays" cookbook and was an instant hit around here...part coffeecake, part dessert - yummy! I've never had almonds in the house, but can vouch that it's great even without them. I've added in a bit of orange rind to the cranberry mix before too, to give it a nice zing. I have always used a Bundt pan...makes for a very pretty presentation for breakfast, brunch, tea, dessert, or gifts, especially around the winter holidays.
- 2 cups cranberries (said fresh, I use frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Coarsely chop cranberries.
- Combine cranberries with brown sugar, almonds, cinnamon and nutmeg; set to the side.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla, sour cream, and eggs; mix thoroughly.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir into egg mixture just until moistened.
- Pour 1/2 of batter into greased Bundt pan or 8" round cake pan.
- Spread 1/2 of cranberry mixture over the top.
- Repeat with remaining batter and cranberries.
- Bake 50-60 min at 350.
- Remove from pan and cool on rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
Wonderful! I used a bundt pan, but next time would use a tube pan. The cranberries are so pretty on the "bottom" and it would be nicer to serve the cake with that side showing. I also included 1 tsp. fresh orange zest per your suggestion.
Every fall I stock up on cranberries, freeze them, and use them throughout the year. I was looking for new recipes and came across this one. It was so delicious, and since there's fruit in it, we ate it for breakfast. In order to bring out the flavor of the cranberries, I used a teaspoon of orange extract and a tablespoon of orange zest. I also lightened the cake up by replacing the butter with half a cup of oil. Will definitely make again!!
I madethis cake today, I baked for 35 min in 4 mini loaf forms. I covered two cakes with orangIe glaze and two I dusted with powdered sugar. I love the cake, but for my husband it was way too much cranberries but he said it was good.. The cake was very easy to make, I will make it again.