Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I enjoyed my recent visit to Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia, and had a wonderful dinner at Christiana Campbell's Tavern. Our meals were accompanied by this spoon bread, scooped right out of the griddle and onto our plates. Absolutely delicious!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cornmeal, salt, and sugar.
- With the mixer on medium low speed, add the boiling water and butter into the bowl and mix for about 5 minutes.
- Add milk and beaten eggs and allow to mix for another 5 minutes; stop mixer and allow mixture to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the mixer on low and add the baking powder and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a buttered skillet or 2-quart casserole and bake for 30 to 45 minute an the center has set.
- Serve immediately.
I'm searching for a spoon bread recipe like the one my mom made; the recipe is lost. This wasn't the consistency I was looking for.
Well this isn't a bad recipe. We have never had spoon bread before and we just don't like spoon bread apparently. I think we would have liked it a lot more if I had added a lot of sugar or honey to it. Maybe we are to fond of sweet cornbread. But thanks for sharing, it was good to try something new!
Forgot to give the FIVE stars for this Spoon Bread. I definately is a 5 star. Thanks Julesong for shareing it.