I enjoyed my recent visit to Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia, and had a wonderful dinner at Christiana Campbell's Tavern. Our meals were accompanied by this spoon bread, scooped right out of the griddle and onto our plates. Absolutely delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cornmeal, salt, and sugar.
- 3With the mixer on medium low speed, add the boiling water and butter into the bowl and mix for about 5 minutes.
- 4Add milk and beaten eggs and allow to mix for another 5 minutes; stop mixer and allow mixture to cool for about 5 minutes.
- 5Turn the mixer on low and add the baking powder and mix until well incorporated.
- 6Pour mixture into a buttered skillet or 2-quart casserole and bake for 30 to 45 minute an the center has set.
- 7Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christiana Campbell's Tavern Spoon Bread
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 241.6
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 159.7 mg
- Sodium 394.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 8.7 g