Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I enjoyed my recent visit to Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia, and had a wonderful dinner at Christiana Campbell's Tavern. Our meals were accompanied by this spoon bread, scooped right out of the griddle and onto our plates. Absolutely delicious!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cornmeal, salt, and sugar.
- With the mixer on medium low speed, add the boiling water and butter into the bowl and mix for about 5 minutes.
- Add milk and beaten eggs and allow to mix for another 5 minutes; stop mixer and allow mixture to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the mixer on low and add the baking powder and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a buttered skillet or 2-quart casserole and bake for 30 to 45 minute an the center has set.
- Serve immediately.