1 hr 15 mins
This is delicious and fragrant! Your house smells wonderful while the chicken is roasting and the neighbors knock on your door looking for invitations to dinner. I make this at least once a month.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lemon
- 1 roasting chicken, about 5 pounds
- grated lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- grated orange, zest of
- 1 orange, cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoons peeled and grated fresh gingerroot
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons margarine, melted,or olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- orange section (for garnish)
- 1Preheat an oven to 350°F degrees.
- 2Cut the lemon into quarters.
- 3Rub the outside of the chicken with one of the lemon quarters, then discard.
- 4In a small bowl, stir together the lemon and orange zests and 1 tablespoon of the grated ginger.
- 5Rub this mixture evenly in the cavity.
- 6Put the lemon and orange quarters inside the bird.
- 7Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan.
- 8Sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- 9In the now-empty small bowl, combine the melted margarine or olive oil, lemon and orange juices, honey, and the remaining 2 tablespoons ginger.
- 10Mix well.
- 11Place the chicken in the oven and roast, basting with the citrus juice mixture at least 4 times during cooking, until the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a knife, about 1 hour.
- 12Transfer to a serving platter and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 13Carve the chicken.
- 14Garnish with orange sections.
- 15Variation: Use 4 tablespoons pomegranate juice in place of the lemon juice.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken with Orange, Lemon & Ginger
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.4
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 53.4 mg
- Sodium 218.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 13.7 g