1/1 Photo of Chestnut Soup
1 hr 10 mins
This is a rich, spicy soup taken from "Pike Place Market Cookbook" which took it from "The Chestnut Cookbook" whose author is Annie Bhagwandin. Annie and her husband, Omroa, can be found selling their wares at "Northwest Chestnuts" at Pike Place Market. A portion of their profits goes toward the promotion of environmentally sound agriculture and ALL proceeds from "The Chestnut Cookbook" go toward the promotion of tree crops.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups chestnut puree (made from fresh, or dried and rehydrated, or bottled chestnuts or canned unsweetened puree, if you n)
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups turkey broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (try fresh grated!)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, depending on degree of hotness desired
- 1 cup whipping cream
- paprika, for garnish
- minsed parsley, for garnish
- 1Mix purée and stock in a large saucepan, and cook for 30 minutes over medium to medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- 2Add nutmeg, cayenne, and cream, and stir well.
- 3Do not let soup boil once the cream has been added, or it might curdle.
- 4Serve in mugs, garnished with paprika and parsley.
- 5TO MAKE PURÉE: If chestnuts are fresh, cut an X in each one and then simmer in water to cover for 15 minutes or roast in the oven 15 to 20 minutes at 375°F.
- 6Peel chestnuts and purée, adding a bit of the stock if necessary.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chestnut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 195.6
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 59.1 mg
- Sodium 243.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: