Any spicy green and mild cheese can be substituted with great success. Very easy but VERY tasty. The dressing is simple so use the best and freshest greens and cheese you can find- I have even used locally produced sheep, goat and cow cheeses- just keep it similar in flavor- like a good queso fresco- thanks cg for the suggestion! The secret is the spicy green with the mild cheese. Keep those two in mind when choosing any substitution. Amazing little salad based on a Whole Foods Recipe. Posted for World Tour 2005.
- Divide greens on 4 salad plates.
- Cut cheese into cubes removing rind if preferred. Place on top of greens.
- Whisk together lemon rind, juice and olive oil.
- Drizzle dressing over greens and cheese dividing equally between the 4 plates.
- Salt and pepper (freshly ground is best) if desired.
- Note: Remember when substituting ingredients to pick a spicy green like arugula or rocket and a mild cheese like queso fresco or even a montery jack- not as mild but still would be good here. Let me know what your combos are!
- Thanks Cookgirl for suggesting the queso fresco- we have some great ones made locally.
I really enjoyed this simple salad - I used butter lettuce and spinach with colby/montery jack cheese. An easy healthy salad which we will be having again and again.
Out of this world! I served this with watercress, a mix of sprong baby greens, and a crumbled white stilton that had apple and pear in it ( from Costco- I highly recommend - yummo). My guests raved - this was a perfect compliment to the meal I served and I WILL make it again! Thanks for a great recipe!
I used feta cheese and it was delicious! Everyone that I had over for dinner loved it!