Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This carrot cake has no raisins or nuts in it and has a delicious Ginger Cream Cheese icing. Recipe is from Taste of the South.
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into quarters
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 8 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Ginger Cream-Cheese Icing
- 20 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- For cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line the bottoms of 3 (9-inch) cake pans with parchment paper and spray with baking spray with flour; set aside.
- Grate carrots in a food processor.
- Add applesauce, stirring to combine; set aside.
- In large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Add oil, eggs and vanilla extract; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Fold in carrot mixture.
- Divide batter evenly among pans.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Let cool in pans for 20 minutes.
- Remove layers from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- To prepare icing, in large bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add butter, beating until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add confectioners' sugar, honey and ginger, beating until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Spread icing between layers and on top and sides of cake.
Delicious cake! I too saw this recipe in the Taste of South Magazine and just had to make it for Easter. I followed the directions as written, except that I used 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger in the icing instead of fresh. The cake was moist and dense, just as carrot cake should be and the icing was so good - the perfect sweetness! After the cake was iced, I covered it with a cake dome and stored it in the refrigerator because of the cream-cheese icing. Thanks Lainey for posting!