1/1 Photo of Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Stuffing
1 hr 45 mins
A moist and savory stuffing full of caramelized onions and mushrooms. The only stuffing my family will eat!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb buttermilk bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped medium
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3/4 cup chicken stock or 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Spread bread cubes in single layer on a large baking sheet.
- 3Bake, stirring occasionally about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4Transfer to a large bowl.
- 5In a large, heavy frying pan, melt the butter over medium high heat.
- 6When hot, add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown.
- 7About 20 minute.
- 8Reduce heat to medium and add the mushrooms and celery.
- 9Cook and stir until tender, about 8 minutes.
- 10Add this mixture to the bread cubes along with the parsley and tarragon.
- 11Add the stock to the pan you used to cook the onions, and bring to a boil scraping up any browned pieces.
- 12Add hot stock to the bread mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 13Mix in the eggs.
- 14Either stuff the turkey and bake as usual or butter a 13X9 pan and spoon stuffing into pan.
- 15Cover with foil and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 16Uncover and bake until top is golden brown, about 30 minutes longer.
- 17I think this is better baked in a pan by itself than stuffed into the turkey-- but to each his own!
Browse Our Top Thanksgiving Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Thanksgiving Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.3
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 84.0 mg
- Sodium 537.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 9.8 g