- Add together in a large bowl, the pears and lemon juice; toss.
- In a different bowl, mix together 1/2 cup sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add to pears; stir gently to mix well.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pour mixture into the pastry shell.
- In a bowl, mix the oats, flour, and remaining sugar.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle over pears.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.
- In a saucepan, melt caramels with milk, over low heat.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add pecans.
- Drizzle over pie.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool pie on a wire rack.