Thinly sliced brussels sprouts are sautéed with shallots in this comforting vegetable hash.
Make and share this Brussels Sprouts Hash With Caramelized Shallots recipe from Food.com.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots; sprinkle with coarse kosher salt and pepper.
- Sauté until soft and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar and sugar.
- Stir until brown and glazed, about 3 minutes.
- Halve brussels sprouts lengthwise.
- Cut lengthwise into thin (1/8-inch) slices. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sprouts; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until brown at edges, 6 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons oil. Sauté until most of water evaporates and sprouts are tender but still bright green, 3 minutes.
- Add shallots; season with salt and pepper.
Delicious way to cook Brussels sprouts. The balance of the apple cider vinegar and the sugar in the cooking of the shallots was fabulous. :) I've never really understood why Brussels sprouts are so maligned, but if they're looking good when you're shopping, this recipe is SO worth trying. A little discrepancy between the Ingredients list (3 tablespoons oil) and the Directions (3 tablespoons of butter), but I followed breezermoom's recommendation here anyway and used much less oil and butter. And I confess to having difficulty following instructions to use water in recipes. I used 1/4 cup of water and 3/4 cup of a light white wine. Yummy recipe: thanks for sharing it, Annacia. Made for Zaar Stars Tag.
This was really good, but I love brussel sprouts! It was a little greasy...maybe a little too much oil. I will do this again, but I won't add anymore oil in the seventh step. I love brussel sprouts, even when they are just boiled with a little salt. So I have to say I loved the recipe...but I will definitely decrease the amount of oil and butter the next time I use this recipe.
Very good way to serve Brussels sprouts! I made this with a 10 ounce bag of shaved sprouts from Trader Joes so decreased the rest of the ingredients accordingly. I liked that I didn't have to cut up the sprouts! :) I LOVED the salty/sweet taste of the onions; the only change I will make for next time is to double the amount of onions; you can never have too many caramelized onions! Made for Zaar Stars.