Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Thinly sliced brussels sprouts are sautéed with shallots in this comforting vegetable hash.
Make and share this Brussels Sprouts Hash With Caramelized Shallots recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 lb shallot, thinly sliced
- coarse kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots; sprinkle with coarse kosher salt and pepper.
- Sauté until soft and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar and sugar.
- Stir until brown and glazed, about 3 minutes.
- Halve brussels sprouts lengthwise.
- Cut lengthwise into thin (1/8-inch) slices. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sprouts; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until brown at edges, 6 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons oil. Sauté until most of water evaporates and sprouts are tender but still bright green, 3 minutes.
- Add shallots; season with salt and pepper.
Delicious way to cook Brussels sprouts. The balance of the apple cider vinegar and the sugar in the cooking of the shallots was fabulous. :) I've never really understood why Brussels sprouts are so maligned, but if they're looking good when you're shopping, this recipe is SO worth trying. A little discrepancy between the Ingredients list (3 tablespoons oil) and the Directions (3 tablespoons of butter), but I followed breezermoom's recommendation here anyway and used much less oil and butter. And I confess to having difficulty following instructions to use water in recipes. I used 1/4 cup of water and 3/4 cup of a light white wine. Yummy recipe: thanks for sharing it, Annacia. Made for Zaar Stars Tag.
This was really good, but I love brussel sprouts! It was a little greasy...maybe a little too much oil. I will do this again, but I won't add anymore oil in the seventh step. I love brussel sprouts, even when they are just boiled with a little salt. So I have to say I loved the recipe...but I will definitely decrease the amount of oil and butter the next time I use this recipe.
Very good way to serve Brussels sprouts! I made this with a 10 ounce bag of shaved sprouts from Trader Joes so decreased the rest of the ingredients accordingly. I liked that I didn't have to cut up the sprouts! :) I LOVED the salty/sweet taste of the onions; the only change I will make for next time is to double the amount of onions; you can never have too many caramelized onions! Made for Zaar Stars.