Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Porter's Restaurant, 17 Henrietta Street, Covent Garden, London
Make and share this Brown Onion, Ale and Cheddar Cheese Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the onions, cook until translucent.
- Add the beef stock and bring to boil.
- Turn down to simmer, add the potatoes and ale.
- Allow to cook until the potatoes have broken down.
- Remove from heat and add the grated cheese, blend thoroughly and serve immediately with fresh crusty bread.
I was looking for something different, and wow I found it. It was very good and had three of my favorite things.... a good ale, onions, and cheese.
Great soup! I used Newcastle Brown Ale for this and it was delicious. A big hit with the whole family!
I love to try new soups when it is cold outside, and since I love French Onion Soup as well as Beer-Cheese Soup I thought this might be a good candidate. It was very tasty and had a nice consistency. It did not take an hour for me to prepare which worked out well! Thanks for the post.