Brussels sprouts are quite often referred to as "Little Cabbages" and some persons did not like them until they tried them breaded. These Breaded Brussels Sprouts are an excellent vegetable dish to be served with your main course. The crumb coating gives them a very unique taste. Originally, I found a recipe that just had some dried bread crumbs sprinkled on them. With some experi
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh Brussels sprouts
- 2 -3 cups cold water (, or enough water to cover sprouts)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted (divided)
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (, Parmigiano Reggiano preferred)
- 4 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Wash and trim Brussels sprouts.
- Cut an"X" in the stem, about 3/8 inch deep (This will help cook the Brussels sprouts more evenly and quicker).
- In a medium size saucepan, add Brussels sprouts and cover with cold water, add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 6 minutes or until just tender, (DO NOT OVERCOOK); drain.
- Place sprouts in a six-cup oven proof casserole dish.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons melted butter over the sprouts and mix well to coat.
- Brussel sprouts should be in a single layer.
- Meanwhile, combine Parmesan cheese, dried bread crumbs, granulated garlic powder, black pepper, seasoning salt and remaining 3 tablespoons butter and mix well.
- Sprinkle mixture over the Brussels sprouts.
- Place casserole dish about 3 inches below broiler in oven and broil on HIGH for about 5 minutes or until the crumb mixture is lightly browned.
- Serve hot.