Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is definitely a freeze ahead recipe option. You can freeze after you put together and just heat from freezer for approx 20 additional minutes!
- 12 ounces bow tie pasta (can also use elbow pasta)
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 (1 lb) container low fat cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and sqeezed of excess liquid
- 3⁄4 cup scallion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook pasta according to directions, omitting salt and undercooking by 2 minutes.
- Drain Meanwhile, heat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Grease 12 cup oven-proof casserole.
- Mix pasta, sauce, cottage cheese, sour cream, spinach, scallions, salt, pepper in a bowl.
- Spoon into casserole and top with cheese.
- Bake, covered for 20 minutes, uncover and continue baking for about 10 minutes or until temperature registers 150 F degrees.
I found this very easy to make and it was well received by the whole family including a 3 and 6 year old. I freeze the pasta (prepared through step 4) in freezer bags. To prepare, I thaw and then proceed with steps 5 and 6. I use less total cheese and cover the portiuons the kids will eat more heavily with cheese and go lighter on the part my husband and I eat because it really does not need to much cheese to still taste great. I use lowfat sour cream as well. Thanks for a great recipe!!!
This was really good. I used mozzarella instead of cheddar and reduced fat cottage cheese and sour cream. It turned out nice and creamy. My 1 yo couldn't eat it fast enough!
good flavor, but a bit too much cheese for me. will make again with 1/2 of the cheddar called for.