Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
This recipe came from a cookbook received as a Christmas gift. This is a great "special occasion" dish. It was well received and consumed heartily.
- 3 -4 lbs beef tenderloin
- 1 package frozen ready to bake puff pastry sheet
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 8 ounces cream cheese with garlic and herbs
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 2 tablespoons madeira wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Tie meat w/ string@ 1" intervals, if needed.
- Place meat on rack in baking pan.
- Roast 45-50 min.
- or until meat thermometer registers 135 degrees.
- Remove from oven.
- Cool 30 min.
- in refrigerator.
- Remove string.
- Thaw puff pastry sheets according to package directions.
- Cook and stir mushrooms in margarine in large skillet 10 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- Add cream cheese, bread crumbs, wine, chives and salt; mix well.
- On lightly floured surface, overlap pastry sheets 1/2" to form 14x12 inch rectangle; press edges firmly together to seal.
- Trim length of pastry 2 1/2" longer than length of meat.
- Spread mushroom mixture over top and sides of meat.
- Place meat in center of pastry.
- Fold pastry over meat; press edges together to seal.
- Decorate top with pastry trimmings, if desired.
- Brush pastry w/combined egg and water.
- Place meat in greased 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.