1 hr 30 mins
This is a "killer" beef dish! I have made this using a small prime rib roast cut into cubes and added in the ribs bones also. You will need 2 (750-ml) bottles of red wine and brandy for this, how could this be bad LOL! or just reduce the wine and add in more beef broth, but it will not have the same flavor! This complete dish can be made 1 day ahead, and really it should be, as it tastes even better the following day! Serve this with crusty garlic bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices bacon, coarsley chopped
- 3 -4 lbs sirloin tip roast or 3 -4 lbs steak, cut into about 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (can use white salt)
- black pepper
- 2 lbs small onion (can use a small bag of frozen)
- 6 large carrots, cut into about 1-inch chunks
- 2 lbs small baby onions (can use a small bag frozen)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 2 (750 ml) bottles dry red wine
- 2 lbs small white button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and black pepper
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large Dutch oven over medium heat cook the bacon until crisp (about 8 minutes) remove to paper towels.
- 3Season the flour with seasoning salt and pepper.
- 4Coat the beef in the flour mixture, then brown well in oil on all sides for about 6 minutes; transfer to a large bowl.
- 5Add in small onions and carrots to the pot and saute until light brown (about 6 minutes).
- 6Add in chopped garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- 7Remove the carrots and onions to a bowl.
- 8Add in 1 cup broth and brandy to the pot; boil until reduced to a glaze (about 8-10 minutes) scraping up the browned bits with a wooden spoon.
- 9Return the beef and carrots, onions and bacon back to the pot.
- 10Add in wine, mushrooms, thyme, sugar, tomato paste and 1-1/2 cups beef broth; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- 11Cover the pot and place in oven; cook for about 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- 12Remove the pot from oven and ladle the liquid from the pot into a medium saucepan (spoon off any fat).
- 13Boil the liquid until reduced to about 2-1/2 cups, or a little more (about 35-40 minutes).
- 14Season with salt and pepper.
- 15Pour the liquid back over the beef and veggies.
- 16Rewarm over low heat before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Sirloin Stew Bourguignon
Serving Size: 1 (687 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1110.3
- Calories from Fat 429
- Total Fat 47.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 170.5 mg
- Sodium 719.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 22.8 g
- Protein 57.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sirloin tip roast