Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is courtesy of the Hidden Valley Original Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix Contest hosted at our local fair last week. This was the first place winning recipe. With the holidays around the corner, I thought it was a perfect time to post. This is always a huge hit and I always get asked for the recipe....it is sooo easy and very flavorful; you don't really need gravy over these potatoes. When I double this for a larger crowd, this fits nicely in a 13x9 casserole dish.
- 709.77 ml water
- 177.44 ml butter
- 354.88 ml milk
- 709.77 ml instant potato flakes
- 828.06 ml unseasoned soft croutons (I've even used potato bread bread cubes) or 828.06 ml bread cubes, divided (I've even used potato bread bread cubes)
- 177.44 ml celery, finely chopped
- 28.34 g package hidden valley ranch dressing mix (dressing mix, not dip mix)
- shredded cheese, any kind, I've used a mix of cheddar and Monterey Jack (optional)
- chopped scallion, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; place soft bread cubes on an ungreased cookie sheet and put in the oven while it preheats (this will just make the soft cubes a little more done); remove when oven is done preheating.
- In a large saucepan, bring butter, water and salt to a boil; remove.
- Add milk and potato flakes, mix well.
- Stir in 3 cups of croutons, celery and Hidden Valley mix.
- Transfer to casserole dish and top with remaining croutons; bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- *If using cheese, remove from oven and add cheese; return to oven until cheese is melted.
My family ate this pretty well. I was very happy with it, but I think that next time I will only add 1/2 of the ranch package as it seemed a little too salty. But it will be made again. I am also wondering how it would taste with Italian dressing mix.....hmmmmmm Thanks Tara