Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an adaptation of a recipe from a local bbq restaurant that I loved so much I played around at home until I came up with this. You don't need butter or broth for the potatoes as the bacon grease does this and is delish.
- 6 -8 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb bacon, slices cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream (more or less)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes until soft, drain, and place in casserole dish (you don't need to mash them).
- While potatoes are boiling, fry bacon on the stove, reserve all grease.
- Pour the bacon and all the drippings on top of the cooked potatoes and stir to incorporate.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Flatten mixture in dish and cover with a layer of sour cream and a layer of cheddar cheese.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Amazingly delish!! I made 1/2 recipe with 7 medium already cooked white potatoes ( from last night) - 1/2 recipe all fit in a 8 x 8 glass baking dish. All I can say is heavenly food that everyone loved. thanks you for this awesome recipe!!