Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A wonderfully tasty comfort food that has its "company's coming" clothes on. The spinach also boosts the nutrition, making it a complete meal.
- 3 cups penne or 3 cups other tubular pasta
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves, washed,uncooked
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until it is very al dente.
- (You want it slightly undercooked.) Drain well and toss with a drizzle of oil to prevent it sticking.
- Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium heat; add onion and mushrooms, and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle evenly with flour and stir until the flour is incorporated.
- Slowly stir in milk and cook, stirring constantly, for five to seven minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of the cheese, salt to taste, cream, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Cook and stir until the cheese melts.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pasta and uncooked spinach leaves.
- Pour the hot sauce over and mix well.
- Spoon into a buttered casserole large enough to hold or into a buttered 9x13 baking pan.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar, cover with lid or foil.
- Bake at 375 for 40 minutes, removing the lid/foil for the last 10 minutes.
Very good and easy to put together. My husband wasn't crazy about the mushrooms and I didn't feel that they contributed to the taste all that much so I probably won't add them the next time I make this.
Thanks Vina for posting!
This is so easy and oh so good!! Did use more mushroom and used low-fat milk instead of cream. Made for a quick dinner! Thanks Vina! :)
This was very good. I served this with lamb chops. I omitted the nutmeg because of personal taste and it came out great. I also cut the recipe in half and it still made a lot! Very good and different and I LOVE spinach!! Thanks for sharing!