Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A wonderfully tasty comfort food that has its "company's coming" clothes on. The spinach also boosts the nutrition, making it a complete meal.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until it is very al dente.
- (You want it slightly undercooked.) Drain well and toss with a drizzle of oil to prevent it sticking.
- Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium heat; add onion and mushrooms, and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle evenly with flour and stir until the flour is incorporated.
- Slowly stir in milk and cook, stirring constantly, for five to seven minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of the cheese, salt to taste, cream, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Cook and stir until the cheese melts.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pasta and uncooked spinach leaves.
- Pour the hot sauce over and mix well.
- Spoon into a buttered casserole large enough to hold or into a buttered 9x13 baking pan.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar, cover with lid or foil.
- Bake at 375 for 40 minutes, removing the lid/foil for the last 10 minutes.