Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
OH MY GOD this is by far the best recipe for mac n cheese I've ever gotten and the best part is NO processed cheese product!! It is well worth the effort put into it. It may seem a little difficult, but if a clod like myself can do it, trust me, so can you!
- 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I like using both Vermont white cheddar and Wisconsin extra-sharp cheddar cheese)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- crushed kettle cooked potato chips (i use cape cod 40% reduced fat, like it matters with this recipe!)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water cook the pasta to al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, in a separate pot, melt the butter.
- Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about 5 minute Make sure it is free of lumps.
- Stir in milk, onion, bay leaf and paprika. Simmer for 10 minute and remove bay leaf.
- Temper in the egg.
- Stir in 3/4 of the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2 quart baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and potato chips.
- Bake 30 minute Let stand for 5 minutes before serving, then bask in the compliments during dinner!
Awesome recipe! I added pieces of turkey bacon & it was perfect! Thank you!!
This review is from my son. I prepared this and left heating instructions for my son. It was just him and my husband for dinner and this mac and cheese is all gone! They enjoyed this with some parmesan chicken strips and a salad. They loved this dinner!