3 hrs 30 mins
Karen From Colorado's Note:
This spicy-sweet glaze is brushed on during baking to give the ham a golden brown appearance and to compliment the meat. The drippings are used to make a sauce to serve along side the ham slices. Use the glaze partway through cooking to prevent the sugars in the glaze from scorching.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 2Using a large knife, cut off the skin and all but 1/4 inch of the fat from the ham, leaving the surface as smooth as possible.
- 3Score the top and sides of the ham diagonally in two opposite directions about 1 1/2 inches apart, creating a diamond pattern.
- 4Stick a clove into the corners of each diamond.
- 5Place the ham on a rack in a roasting pan.
- 6Add the apple cider and 2 cups water to the pan; bake for 2 hours, adding more water after an hour if needed.
- 7While ham bakes, combine the brown sugar, rum, salt and cayenne pepper to taste in a bowl; stir until smooth; let stand for 10 minutes to allow sugar to dissolve partially.
- 8Remove ham from the oven and brush the glaze evenly over the ham; reserve the leftover glaze.
- 9Return the ham to the oven and bake for 1 hour longer, brushing with the glaze every 15 minutes.
- 10Transfer ham to a large platter and cover loosely with foil; allow to rest for 15 to 30 minutes.
- 11While ham rests, pour the liquid from the roasting pan into a fat separator or a large glass measuring pitcher; let the fat rise to the surface, then pour or spoon off as much fat as possible; float a piece of paper towel on the surface to absorb the remaining fat.
- 12Pour the degreased liquid into a small saucepan and add the remaining glaze to make a sauce; rewarm and pour in a sauceboat.
- 13Serve ham warm with the sauce.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Ham With a Brown Sugar, Rum and Cayenne Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (687 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1987.8
- Calories from Fat 1272
- Total Fat 141.3 g
- Saturated Fat 49.0 g
- Cholesterol 476.2 mg
- Sodium 8523.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 39.7 g
- Protein 110.9 g