Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This spicy-sweet glaze is brushed on during baking to give the ham a golden brown appearance and to compliment the meat. The drippings are used to make a sauce to serve along side the ham slices. Use the glaze partway through cooking to prevent the sugars in the glaze from scorching.
- 12 lbs ham, bone in
- 1⁄4 cup whole cloves, for studding
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Using a large knife, cut off the skin and all but 1/4 inch of the fat from the ham, leaving the surface as smooth as possible.
- Score the top and sides of the ham diagonally in two opposite directions about 1 1/2 inches apart, creating a diamond pattern.
- Stick a clove into the corners of each diamond.
- Place the ham on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Add the apple cider and 2 cups water to the pan; bake for 2 hours, adding more water after an hour if needed.
- While ham bakes, combine the brown sugar, rum, salt and cayenne pepper to taste in a bowl; stir until smooth; let stand for 10 minutes to allow sugar to dissolve partially.
- Remove ham from the oven and brush the glaze evenly over the ham; reserve the leftover glaze.
- Return the ham to the oven and bake for 1 hour longer, brushing with the glaze every 15 minutes.
- Transfer ham to a large platter and cover loosely with foil; allow to rest for 15 to 30 minutes.
- While ham rests, pour the liquid from the roasting pan into a fat separator or a large glass measuring pitcher; let the fat rise to the surface, then pour or spoon off as much fat as possible; float a piece of paper towel on the surface to absorb the remaining fat.
- Pour the degreased liquid into a small saucepan and add the remaining glaze to make a sauce; rewarm and pour in a sauceboat.
- Serve ham warm with the sauce.
What a great addition to my Holiday meal planning! The glaze is just the best - it's that sweet-hot flavor that just got me, and my DH is sold too. Thanks!