1/1 Photo of Apricot-glazed Turkey with Onion and Shallot Gravy
Ron Merlin's Note:
I first made this 5 years ago and it's become a Thanksgiving staple ever since. The turkey is always very tender and the gravy is to die for.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup apricot nectar
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced (about 2 pounds)
- 6 ounces shallots, thinly sliced (about 6 large)
- 21 -22 lbs turkey
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth (or more)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth (about)
- 1For Glaze: Combine all ingredients in small saucepan and bring to boil.
- 2Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened and reduce to 1 1/4 cups, about 15 minutes.
- 3For Herb Butter: Blend all ingredients in small bowl.
- 4Set aside.
- 5For Onion Mixture: Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- 6Add onions and shallots and sauté until very soft and light brown, about 20 minutes.
- 7Cover separately and chill.
- 8For Turkey: Place rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 400° F.
- 9Pat turkey dry with paper towels.
- 10Season turkey cavity with salt and pepper.
- 11Place turkey on rack set in large roasting pan.
- 12Slide hand under skin of turkey breast to loosen skin.
- 13Spread half of herb butter over breast under skin.
- 14If stuffing turkey, spoon stuffing into main cavity.
- 15Place remaining herb butter in small saucepan.
- 16Stir over low heat until melted.
- 17Brush butter over outside of turkey.
- 18Tie legs together loosely to hold shape of turkey.
- 19Roast turkey 30 minutes.
- 20Reduce oven temperature to 325° F.
- 21Roast turkey 1 hour 30 minutes, basting occasionally with pan drippings.
- 22Tent turkey with heavy-duty foil; roast 45 minutes longer.
- 23Add onion mixture, 1 can broth, thyme and sage to pan.
- 24Roast 15 minutes.
- 25Bring glaze to simmer.
- 26Brush 1/2 cup glaze over turkey.
- 27Continue to roast turkey uncovered until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180° F.
- 28or until juices run clear when thickest part of thigh is pierced with skewer, brushing occasionally with glaze and adding more broth to pan if liquid evaporates, about 40 minutes longer for unstuffed turkey (about 1 hour 10 minutes longer for stuffed turkey).
- 29Place turkey on platter, tent with foil.
- 30Let stand 30 minutes.
- 31Reserve mixture in pan for gravy.
- 32For Gravy: Pour contents of roasting pan into strainer set over large bowl.
- 33Spoon fat from pan juices in bowl.
- 34Transfer onion mixture in strainer to blender.
- 35Add 1 cup pan juices to blender and puree until smooth, adding more pan juices and chicken broth if necessary to thin sauce to desired consistency.
- 36Transfer sauce to heavy large saucepan and bring to boil.
- 37Cook until color deepens, skimming off any foam, about 5 minutes.
- 38Season with salt and pepper.
- 39Serve turkey with gravy.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apricot-glazed Turkey with Onion and Shallot Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (737 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1511.9
- Calories from Fat 699
- Total Fat 77.7 g
- Saturated Fat 26.6 g
- Cholesterol 575.8 mg
- Sodium 844.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 164.8 g