Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Sweet potatoes were always a favorite of mine as a kid. This one is a little different and I think very good. Goes well with ham.
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 (20 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 2⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Spray a 4 quart slow cooker lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the sweet potatoes, apple pie filling, raisins, 3 tablespoons butter (cut up), and apple pie spice to the slow cooker; gently stir to mix.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- In a large skillet, add the pecans, sugar, and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Over medium heat, cook, stirring constantly, for 8-10 minutes or until sugar mixture that adheres to the nuts turns golden and starts to melt.
- Pour nut mixture out onto a piece of foil; let cool completely.
- Coarsely crush the nut mixture.
- Serve potatoes topped with nuts.
Brought this recipe to a family Thanksgiving Dinner. Couldn't get more compliments. I did not have on hand apple pie filling. See recipe "#130444" and my review. Worked out the best. Thanks ratherbe!
Excellent, just excellent... and very tasty with ham! Followed the recipe except I left out the raisins and omitted the nutty topping. Have family members who are picky eaters...
Made first thing in the morning, cooked on HIGH for 2 hrs, then turned to LOW... perfect! Looking forward to the leftovers. Most likely will make half-recipes in the future when it's just me... but will definitely keep this on the list of holiday menu favorites.
Thank you so much for this recipe! I made it for the first time 3 years ago and now my family BEGS for it during the holidays. This is the BEST sweet potato recipe.